Monday, 5 August 2013

A list of pie contests around the world

Our mission at Pierate is to find the best pie in the world and promote great pie making. Therefore we like to keep up to date with all the pie contests and pie awards that happen globally. Here is a list of the pie contests that are taking place around the world. If you're holding a pie contest, or know of a pie contest not listed - however big or small - let us know by leaving a comment! This list will be updated as we hear of new contests.

United Kingdom

British Pie Awards
This event, run by the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association, is one of the biggest in the UK. Their famous definition of a pie is "a filling totally encased in pastry." The awards aim to celebrate the heritage of the British pie.

World Pie Eating Championships
Located in Harry's Bar, Wigan (often seen as the UK pie capital), the World Pie Eating Championships tests how many pies competitors can eat in an allotted time. The contest has been running since 1992.

The Hop Annual Pie Eating Contest
The Hop in Sheffield has held a pie eating contest two years' running, in tribute to British Pie Week. Teams of four compete in a 'pie relay' to eat four pies in the quickest time.

Pierate Pie Contest
The first Pierate Pie Contest was held in Birmingham in July 2013. Following the success of its maiden event, organisers plan to repeat the event again, perhaps in the cooler winter months.

Scotch Pie Club Awards

Celebrating the traditional Scotch pie, these annual awards attract hundreds of entries. The pie competition is supported by Scottish Bakers and the Scottish Federation of Meat Traders, and the winning pie is crowned the best Scotch pie in the world.

EBLEX England's Best Steak Pie Award
These awards are for retail butchers, caterers and pie manufacturers who make steak pies. 

United States

Annual Good Food Pie Contest
2013 will see the 5th KCRW Annual Good Food Pie Contest, held in Los Angeles. "Home cooks and professionals alike will be judged by some of LA's best chefs and food writers - a list that includes Moby as one of the judges." This year there are 7 categories: Fruit, Nut, Cream/Chiffon/Silk, Savory, Vegan, LACMA Art-Inspired Pie and a children's section.

Annual Bucktown Apple Pie Contest
This year will be the 9th Annual Bucktown Apple Pie Contest. The contest is a fundraiser for Holstein Park, Chicago. The judges rate the pies according to the following percentages: Appearance: 10%; Filling & Crust 40%; Overall Flavor/Taste: 50%. Only double-crust apple pies allowed.

American Pie Council Crisco National Pie Championships
The APC Crisco National Pie Championships take place in Orlando. The event attracts amateur pie makers alongside professional chefs and commercial pie companies from around the country and Canada. Category winners can scoop several thousand dollars.

Wayne County Fair Pie Contest
Wayne County Fair, New York state, holds an annual pie contest. Pies are then auctioned off to raise funds for the fair.

Northampton Tuesday Market Pie Contest
Northampton Tuesday Market holds an annual pie contest and pie bake sale.

Pie Town Pie Festival Pie Contest
Pie Town, New Mexico, holds a pie contest as part of their pie festival. Criteria judged include overall appearance, crust and taste.


Official Great Aussie Pie Competition
The Official Great Aussie [previously Meat] Pie Competition is held at alternating locations in Melbourne and Sydney. Run by the Australian Pie Council, the event attracts "thousands of entries" from bakers across Australia. The word "meat" was removed from the title to encompass the gourmet pie category.

New Zealand

Bakels Supreme Pie Awards
The 2013 event attracted 4500 entries - the highest number of pies to be entered in the 17 year history of the awards. 19 judges first assess the aesthetics of the pies before whittling down the numbers for the taste-test round. There are 12 categories and an overall supreme winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for getting in touch with the Pierateers!